Captcha is saving me bandwidth. Big time.
It’s taken me quite some time to manage this blog. Recently I was notified that my traffic was spiking to the point where I was going to start incurring some charges. I felt that was impossible, as the traffic I get here is quite small. I had stopped posting anything for very long stretches of time. Server script activity of some sort. I killed that post to see what happened. The spiking stopped, but then migrated to other posts.
I turned a type of Captcha on for several entry-points and the traffic is back to normal. No more overage charges to worry about, and things are much cleaner here. I have some other security elements in place, and combined have made things much better.