It’s almost time for WWDC17, this year in San Jose, CA instead of San Francisco. I haven’t been in several years because my lottery skills are obviously lacking. I managed to score one this year and I’m pretty excited. What will I take this year?
Well, to be honest, taking a laptop to sessions in the past, for me, has been serious overkill. I might jot some notes down in a Moleskine or other notebook – for transcription later. Taking notes on a laptop brings distraction to the game for me. Am I plugged in and charging? I need to get close to a plug. Oh, I can check Facebook during this session. Email. Pretend to be coding something amazing in Xcode. Taking notes on a laptop makes me feel like a court stenographer and I want to relax a bit and take the information in. I can always watch the session again later in its stored video format (to catch some details that might have gone by too quickly).
I will still take my trusty MacBook Pro R, but that will be for when I’m back in my room at night – coding, emailing, sorting photos, watching session videos again, etc. It will probably stay in my room locked up. Charged and ready for my welcome return at the close of each day. That will save me a bunch of weight to lug around too. I can use my laptop bag for other things, including hoofing multiple Odwalla juices around (if they supply those big cans of it around the venue).
- Bose QuietControl 30
- Bose QuietComfort 35
- Casio ProTrek PRW 3100y-1B (all black) watch
For the sessions:
- iPhone 6 Plus. The most important bit of gear I have.
- At least two portable battery chargers. Anker Astro Pro Series(20000mAH) and a RavPower (16750mAH)one I had before the Anker. Both charged up and ready to fly. The Anker needs plugged into an outlet, the RavPower does microUSB for charging.
- Two point-and-shoot cameras – both Sony. An older one which is my favorite, and a newer model which I don’t like as much.
- Timbuk2 messenger laptop bag.
- Moleskine, fountain pen, EDC pens, etc.
- Zojirushi Coffee Thermos 20oz. Über awesome and über important.
- Various cables, USB wall plugs, etc.
- Takeya ThermoFlask Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle, 40 oz, Asphalt. Huge. Perfect. Might leave at the hotel as it could be overkill.
- Apple Watch series 2. I’m hoping Apple updates the WWDC iOS app and it gets watch support – for keeping us on our selected schedules, getting important updates, map support, etc.
- Sunglasses. For me, very important.
- Takeya ThermoFlask Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle, 40 oz, Asphalt. Huge. Perfect. No water bottles.
- Couple of polos/shirts (a few older WWDC ones, a Swift logo one, etc.)
- Shorts/jeans/Scarpa shoes. Scarpa Margherita rock.
- A spring jacket in case it gets cool at night (Patagonia fold up for laptop bag) – not wearing a WWDC17 one if Apple swags those out.
- Livionex tooth gel. Its amazing.
- Wet shaving and beard gear. Very important to clean up daily.
- Packing cubes. Although I’m not bringing a ton of clothes, they really, really, really help keep things tidy. I know I’ll be bringing back a few additional shirts and a sweatshirt at least.
- Snooz white noise generator (I got from Kickstarter)